我与工委会负责人讨论后，认为应公开揭发此事，以免被误解为“默认”。 Continue reading
我与工委会负责人讨论后，认为应公开揭发此事，以免被误解为“默认”。 Continue reading
Malay version (sent to Utusan Malaysia)
Menegakkan Kebenaran Terhadap Pembunuhan Kejam Askar-Askar UK
Pembangunan yang berterusan oleh negara kita sedang berhadapan dengan satu masalah besar. Sesetengah suku masyarakat kita masih dibebani dengan pemikiran stereotaip yang gemar untuk melabel pihak yang tidak bersetuju sebagai pelampau atau “extremist” tanpa sebarang asas atau justifikasi. Seorang yang dikenali sebagai “Tan” termasuk di dalam kategori ini apabila beliau mempamerkan permikiran yang sempit dan kolot di dalam artikel beliau yang bertajuk “Usaha pinda fakta sejarah iktiraf perjuangan PKM” (Utusan, 22/12/08).
Tan telah membuat beberapa kesilapan fakta dan asas di dalam artikelnya apabila beliau mendakwa individu-individu yang mengetuai kempen menuntut pembetulan untuk keluarga-keluarga pihak yang terselamat di dalam pembunuhan beramai-ramai di Batang Kali, seolah-olahnya cuba untuk menyatakan yang pergerakan Komunis adalah wajar, yang mana dakwaan tidak berasas ini adalah disangkal dengan keras. Continue reading
Following is the report and audio clip of the interview: http://www.abc.net.au/ra/connectasia/stories/m1681798.asx
Sixty years ago, a Scottish regiment in then-British Malaya shot and killed 25 villagers, in the name of fighting communism now, the Malaysian Chinese descendants are seeking compensation from Britain.
At the time, the Scottish regiment said the deceased were armed Communists trying to escape, but the sole survivor says they were unarmed villagers shot in cold blood. Their claims have been never been thoroughly investigated either by Malaysia or by Britain. Marking the sixtieth anniversary of the deaths, the Action Committee Condemning the Batang Kali Massacre visited the British High Commission in Kuala Lumpur.
Presenter: Sen Lam
Speaker: Quek Ngee Meng, from the Malaysian Action Committee Condemning the Batang Kali Massacre
Telegraph (15/12/2008) : The Asia File
But, 60 years after the incident that occurred at Batang Kali village, near Kuala Lumpur, on December 11-12, the last surviving witness in Malaysia is once again repeating her call for justice.
77-year-old Tham Yong, who is dying of throat cancer, has spent decades fighting for a full public enquiry, an apology from the British government and compensation. She told AFP that “after so much time, it still hurts me every time I talk about it, I remember it just like yesterday”.
“I’m still angry because these were innocent persons but labelled as bandits and communists, when all they were doing was collecting durians and not supplying food to the communists,” she said. “My advanced cancer means I will not around much longer, but I hope people remember what happened here so that those who were killed here are never forgotten.”
A group of politicians and activists, which is continuing the campaign for justice, delivered a note to the British High Commission in Kuala Lumpur last week, calling on the British government to close the matter once and for all by holding a public enquiry. But the government has in the past always resisted such requests.
Like so many similar incidents, the exact details of what happened at the village of Batang Kali on those two days are clouded by the fog of war and remain sketchy. Perhaps the best recent account is contained in the excellent Forgotten Wars by Christopher Bayly and Tim Harper (who I studied under at university). Originally it was claimed that the men, who were rubber tappers suspected of helping supply communist insurgents, had been shot while trying to run away. Continue reading
“After so much time, it still hurts me every time I talk about it, I remember it just like yesterday,” she says, tears streaming down her cheeks as she recounts the slaying of 24 unarmed villagers by Scots Guards troops.
The 77-year-old former rubber tapper has spent decades fighting for compensation over the terrible events in the village of Batang Kali on December 11 and 12, 1948.
But as she succumbs to throat cancer, the campaign is being taken up by a new generation of activists and politicians who have demanded an apology from Britain and 80 million pounds (149 million dollars) in compensation.
The leader of the campaign, 40-year-old lawyer Quek Ngee Meng — whose father lives in Batang Kali — marched with a small band of supporters to the British High Commission on Friday to mark the 60th anniversary of the event.
The group presented a memorandum condemning the massacre to High Commissioner Boyd McCleary, who came out to the embassy gates to meet with the protesters.
“We are asking for a proper public enquiry to be held… I think it’s a fair request,” Quek told AFP.
“Let us show our evidence and if we have proven our case, then meet our demands. If the outcome favours the British government, then we will stop this protest,” he said. Continue reading
New Straits Times ( 2008/12/13)
KUALA LUMPUR: A group of 100 people handed a petition calling for justice over the Batang Kali massacre to British High Commissioner Boyd McCleary, here yesterday. The Action Committee Condemning the Batang Kali Massacre head of signature, Quek Ngee Meng, said the petition was timed to coincide with the incident’s 60th anniversary yesterday.
“The petition is a follow-up to an earlier one we sent to the British High Commission on March 25, where no action was taken by the British government,” said Quek.
The group, consisting of families of the victims and members of several non-governmental organisations spent about half an hour outside the British High Commission in Jalan Ampang at 10.30am.
They were later met by McCleary who personally accepted their petition under the watchful eyes of some 100 Federal Reserve Unit officers. Continue reading